Bihu Dance

 Traditional Folk Dance of Assam...

Bihu Dance is an indigenous folk dance of Assam related to the Bihu festival and an important part of Assamese culture. The Bihu dancers are usually young men and women. The traditional costume of dancers is colorful and centered round the red color theme, signifying joy and vigor. 

Bihu is not just a dance form it is the emotion of every Assamese person. It is a very important depiction of the diverse culture of Assamese people and it is adored by everyone. 

Mostly the dancers of the Bihu dance are groups of young men and women and the dancing style is seen as quick steps and rapid movements of hands. The beautiful movements and formation of Bihu dance which is full of energy makes it a visually really interesting to watch. The dancers swing their bodies with grace along with the rhythm of their folk music produced usually by the men playing instruments like Dhol, Pepa (hornpipe musical instrument), Gogona (made of mostly bamboo) and many more, producing beautiful sounds to which the women dance.

Various ethnic groups in Assam admire and perform the Bihu dance as an eminent part of their culture. Bihu has emerged as one of the dance forms which has gained much popularity not just at the national level but at the worldwide level. It was even performed and displayed in the London Olympics in 2012 by professional Bihu dancers making the state proud.

I have been practicing this beautiful dance form since I was 4 years old. I had taken part in many competitions since then and the memories I have made while practicing this dance form is unforgettable. If I am being honest with you due to my studies I had to stop doing the competitions but I still and will always love this dance with burning passion. It is always there in my heart and I still get really excited whenever I hear someone playing the traditional instruments or hear any Assamese Bihu songs. 

I would very much like you to come here in Assam during the month of April when Rongali Bihu will be going on and experience the beautiful tradition and the beautiful dance form. I can assure you that you will never  be disappointed about visiting the place.





💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓

If you want to know more about Assamese culture and food too please subscribe to my blog and give a read to my other blogs. I would be delighted to have you here.




Comments